How to Seal a Concrete Floor
Sealing a concrete floor is a crucial step towards ensuring it remains strong and in great condition for years to come. There are a plethora of benefits to using sealer on concrete — and it’s almost effortless to apply.
So, what are you waiting for? Start applying sealer to your concrete floor today. Check out our article to find out how to prepare and how to seal a concrete floor.
Need concrete for your project? Call our team on 0800 859 5371 to place your order!
Why is sealing a concrete floor important?
Sealing concrete is one of the most important aspects of concrete floor installation due to the wealth of benefits it provides.
Concrete sealers protect your concrete from:
- Weather exposure
- De-icing salts
But sealers offer more than just protection. They also improve concrete floors by:
- Improving durability
- Inhibiting mould
- Extending their lifespan
- Maintaining their colour
What you need:
- Putty knife
- Wet mop
- Pressure washer (for outdoor use)
- Concrete filler
Overall, your concrete flooring will enjoy so many benefits with just a simple application. All you need to do is learn how to prepare your concrete for the sealer and how to apply it.
How to prepare your concrete for sealing
Before you can apply the sealer, you need to prepare the concrete. It’s important not to skip this step; preparing the concrete will make sure that the floor is properly sealed. Follow these steps to prepare your concrete:
- 1. Remove everything from the floor that you wish to seal
- 2. Using a putty knife, remove the skirting boards from the wall
- 3. Remove any debris that remains on the floor
- 4. Use a degreasing product to degrease the floors
- 5. Scrub any oily areas of your floor with a wire brush
- 6. Use a wet mop to rinse your concrete
- 7. Wait until the floor is completely dry
- 8. Fill any cracks in the concrete using concrete filler
If you are wanting to seal a concrete floor outside, follow the same steps above – however for #2, consider the environment around the concrete. Make sure to clean up any oil or debris properly, instead of letting it drain into the grass or soil. Also consider putting a sheet over any grass or soil, to avoid run off.
How to seal your concrete floor
- 1. Strip any existing sealer from the surface
- 2. Use an etching solution to open up the concrete
- 3. Apply a thin coat of the sealer using either a sprayer or roller
- 4. Leave the first layer of sealer to dry
- 5. Apply a second coat of sealer in the opposite direction to the first
- 6. Wait for the sealer to dry fully before applying any pressure onto it
For the best results, always use a sealer and quality concrete mix.
At Total Concrete, we mix and deliver the perfect concrete blend for your needs. So whether you’re a domestic user installing a small concrete floor or a commercial user building the foundations for a house, we have the concrete for you.
We deliver throughout Woking, Surrey, Guildford and the surrounding areas, and pride ourselves on our quick turnarounds.